Nowadays debit and credit cards are being used a lot for online transactions. Most of the debit cards are being issued by Visa Inc and MasterCard Incorporated. Also, some other countries have their own major debit cards issues like Maestro in the United Kingdom and other countries, RuPay in India and some more.
But the majority of global debit cards are issued by Visa Inc and MasterCard. Here especially we will talk about Visa Inc issues debit cards or Visa Debit cards and one of its important point VBV or Non-VBV.
- What is VBV or Non-VBV in Debit Cards?
- How to Check Card is VBV or Non-VBV?
- How Verified by Visa works?
What is VBV or Non-VBV in Debit Cards?
VBV means Verified By Visa which is a password-protected authentication system designed to confirm the identity of the cardholder when a Visa card is used online.
By requesting a password known only to the cardholder, the bank can verify that the genuine cardholder is entering their card details into an eCommerce website. The password may be one that you nominate yourself and must remember, or, it could be a code the bank sends you via SMS when you are about to make an online payment. It helps to prevent fraudulent transactions and gives all parties in the payment process greater peace of mind, especially when used in conjunction with all the other security features offered by Visa.
Then, obviously, Non-VBV means non Verified by Visa debit cards. NON VBV (Verified by Visa) –Handy to use. No need extra information as specified in VBV card while doing the transaction. Card holders mainly buy and use NON VBV cards for carding.
MasterCard secure code is a similar type of VBV (Verified by Visa) security feature.
How to Check Card is VBV or Non-VBV?
Debit card holders are always looking for safety and security. So, if you’re a debit card user then you may have asked for How to check my debit card is VBV or Non-VBV. Well, here is a step by step guide to Check Card is VBV or Non-VBV.
- Open your bank’s official website.
- Choose any utility recharge such as mobile recharge, electricity bill.
- Choose a small amount of recharge.
- Select pay via Debit card and proceed to the payment confirmation page.
- Check if the page is showing a Verified by Visa logo above.
How Verified by Visa works?
Here is the official information from Visa Inc on how Verified by Visa works in 6 easy steps.
- Register for Verified by Visa in just a few minutes through the bank that issued your card or when prompted at the time of your transaction.
- Upon activation, Verified by Visa protects you at every participating online store.
- When you shop online at a participating merchant, your card will be automatically recognized as protected by Verified by Visa.
- You will be asked to authenticate yourself in a Verified by Visa window displayed on the site using your Verified by Visa password or the one-time password issued to you.
- Once you have entered your Verified by Visa code, simply follow the steps as you normally would to complete the transaction.
- Your issuer will verify your entries and the transaction will be completed upon successful validation.
If you can see a Verified by Visa icon above that means your card is VBV. If you can find any logo that means your debit card is Non VBV (Verified by Visa). For MasterCard users please check for the “MasterCard Secure Code” logo.
For the latest business news and market updates follow Profit Times on Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin and Google News.